Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Return to Boulud

After working as the Sommelier at Cafe Boulud-Palm Beach for four and a half years, I decided this past November that it was time for me to strike out on my own. My new life as a sommelier without walls has been fabulous, but it is always nice to return to the comforts of a place that was once your home. Having been invited to experience my alma mater as a guest this past week, I jumped at the opportunity.

I first met Cory and Debbie Lipoff, who live in Chicago and have a home in Palm Beach Gardens, while working at Cafe Boulud. They are lovers of good food and even better wine. Since that first meeting, we have shared many o' bottles of wine and good times together. For their visit this spring, the Lipoffs graciously invited me (and two of my friends) to join them for an evening at Cafe Boulud.

Cory carefully selected the wines he wanted to share with us for this dinner and what am amazing line-up it was! Upon our arrival, we were greeted by our charming hosts at a beautiful outside table pre-set with wine glasses everywhere. Already poured was the 2004 Vincent Dauvissat Chablis, 'Sechet' (one of Cory's favorite producers). We chatted for a bit to catch up and got settled into our cozy corner of the courtyard. And then, the wines began...


Being lovers of Burgundy all around, we did a comparison tasting of Rousseau Chambertin Grand Cru 2000 (amazingly open and generous, according to Cory) and 2001 (more acidity and complexity), followed by Roumier Bonnes-Mares 2001 (I believe 'sexy' was the word used to describe this one). Next, we moved on to classic wine icons: 1978 Chateau Mouton Rothschild (brought in honor of my friend's birth year) and 1986 Penfolds Grange (I did not know that Frederick Wildman was their importer back then). But the 'piece de resistance' for me was the 1996 Vega Sicilia 'Unico.' While I agree with Cory that the wine will drink better in ten years, this was the highlight of my evening. I was fortunate enough to visit Vega Sicilia on a month-long trip to Spain this past September and am currently the Brand Ambassador for Ribera del Duero wines in the South Florida market. Thanks for sharing, Cory!

All of the wine service for the evening was professionally attended to by Sommelier John Mayfield (NOTE: Mariya Kovacheva is the Chief Sommelier there since my departure, but was not working this particular evening). And I would be remiss if I did not mention the incredible food we shared that was prepared by Zach Bell, Executive Chef (three times nominated for a James Beard Award), and his amazingly talented team. Negotiations were made around the table to ensure we ordered different items in order to maximize our tasting experience. Appetizers consisted of Rillettes de Porc, Crispy Octopus Basquaise, Cleanseas Hiramasa Sashimi and Bruce Gore Wild Coho Salmon. Mid-course was a small portion of Risotto Primavera for everyone. Main courses were chosen to pair with our wines - Pistachio Crusted Jergowitz Duck and Lamb Chops a la Greque. The grand finale (and my favorite course, besides all the wine...) was under the direction of Matthew Petersen, Executive Pastry Chef. Profiteroles, White Chocolate-Coconut Haupia (Hawaiian dessert), Chocolate Hazelnut Bar and more were passed around the table.

Needless to say, a good time was had by all! Thank you, Cory and Debbie, for your kindness and generosity of orchestrating such a memorable evening. And thank you to my extended family at Cafe Boulud for welcoming me back home, this time as a guest.

No comments:

Post a Comment