Monday, November 1, 2010

How I Spent My Summer Vacation on Nantucket




After living in South Florida full-time for almost 5 years, I decided it was time to do what so many of my clients do and head North for the summer.  Nantucket was the perfect destination for me as I had already visited there a handful of times  for the annual Nantucket Wine Festival held each year as a pre-season event the weekend before Memorial Day.  I also a few restaurant connections as several employees from the Palm Beach area restaurants have been flocking to this island as well for years.

I landed a job as the Sommelier at The Pearl, one of three restaurants on island owned and operated by Seth and Angela Raynor.  The Pearl features coastal cuisine with an Asian influence and is open mid-May through mid-October with this being their 11th year.  My duties this summer were simple - show up, sell wine and have fun!  With all of these requirements met, I wanted to share with you some of the highlights of my summer adventure (in no particular order)...

- My Wednesday Wine Beach Club - What better way to bond with your co-workers and enjoy the many splendors of the beaches Nantucket has to offer!  Our wine selections varied each week based on what was in the cooler at The Cellar, Epernay or sometimes even Hatch's.
Below is a small sampling of some of our vinous libations...
Week One:  Pirineos Mesache Somantano White 2008
                    Segura Viudas 'Aria' Cava NV
                    Reffault Rose Chinon 2009 (yum!)
Week Two:  Chateau Soucherie Anjou Blanc 2009
                    Chateau de Campuget Rose Costieres de Nimes 2008
                    Chapoutier 'Bellerouche' Rose Cotes-du-Rhone 2008
                    Cristina Ascheri Gavi 2008
Week Three:  Angrove's Nine Vines Grenache/Shiraz Rose So. Australia 2008
                      Notte di Luna Vernaccia di San Gimigniano 2009 (almost lost friends on this purchase)
Week Four:  Clos de la Pepiere Muscadet Sur Lie 2009
                     Shaya Verdejo 2008
                     Sansilvestro Piemonte Cortese 'Adelasia' 2008
                     Domaine la Manarine Cotes du Provence Rose 2009
                     Segura Viudas Brut Reserva Cava NV
Week Five:  Wishing Tree Unoaked Chard Western Australia 2008
                    Ferrari-Carano Fume Blanc Sonoma County 2009
                    Domaine Horchart Rose Cotes du Provence 2009
Week Six:  Well, you get the picture...

- Working with Sam Mason, famous NYC Pastry Chef, formerly of WD-50, has a show 'Dinner with the Band' and owner of Lady Jay's bar in Brooklyn.  Sam had something to offer everyone at the restaurant - front of the house, back of the house and guests included.  He shared his recipes, his insights and talents with anyone who was willing to learn.  His humbleness and dedication to his craft and sharing with others made everyone a bit melancholy after he departed from his three week stint.  Not to mention, dessert is my favorite!

- Being re-introduced to Jim Clendenen, the mind behind Au Bon Climat winery. The Raynor's have been fans and friends of his for years.  He and I talked about my former days at Michael's in Santa Monica where we first met.  We also discussed the Cuvee Daniel Chardonnay that he makes and was served during my time at Cafe Boulud.  I look forward to seeing him again at Daniel Johnnes' La Paulee Burgundy event in the spring.  This man is a walking wine encyclopedia! 

- My favorite dinner place on island (not including where I worked) was Straight Wharf Restaurant.  While I only had so many nights off all summer as I was mostly working, I made a point to try as many restaurants as I could around the island.  It just so happened that I made it to SWR three times, the last two within the final weeks of leaving Nantucket.  Whether I ate in the dining room or the buzz of the bar, I was always impressed with the service, the food and the wine selections.  Meo-Camuzet Corton 2000 literally brought me to tears.  Thanks so much to Scott Fraley, General Manager, for always accommodating me and Carlos when we arrived so late in the evening and without reservations!

- My favorite wines of Summer 2010: (all served by the glass @ The Pearl)
Chateau d'Esclans 'Whispering Angel' Rose Cotes-du-Provence 2009 (Nicknamed the 'Screaming Devil' by the end of the summer; it was so good, it was bad!)
Martinsancho Verdejo Rueda 2009 (This reminded me of my month-long trip to Spain last year; this region is  considered a 'sister' region of white wines to the red wines of Ribera del Duero.)
Pol Roger Champagne Brut NV (AKA The Jolly Roger; if champagne doesn't make you happy, then pass your glass over to me...)

As the dog days of summer have come to an end, I will treasure my new friendships, the memories that we created together and the fabulous experiences I had working at such an incredible establishment.  I look forward to being able to return to Nantucket - to do it all over again next summer!
















                    

No comments:

Post a Comment